At the lofty pinnacle of the GX BLAK Series, the regal GX-7 BLAK speaks with the transcendent character and authority that has made it the definitive choice of professional pianists.
7'.6" (L) x 63" (W) x 40" (H) | Weight: 880 lbs.
Finishes: Polished Ebony, Satin Ebony
KAWAI GX Series Grand Pianos
The new standard of grand piano design is beyond imagination. Combining state-of-the-art technology with traditional craftsmanship. Applying knowledge and experience handed down from generation to generation. Defining the ‘made in Japan’ philosophy of piano building. Lightness of touch usually experienced by only the very finest concert pianists. Rich, vivid, expressive tone that inspires one’s creative passion. A new era of grand piano performance has arrived.
- Millennium III™ action with ABS-Carbon composites
- NEOTEX™ key surfaces – With moisture absorbing properties for greater touch control
- Konsei Katagi rim – Utilizing a blend of distinctive hardwoods to achieve an ideal balance of tone
- Vertically laminated bridge with solid maple cap – For enhanced energy transfer
- Continuous bridge – For smoother transitions between bass and treble registers
- Elegant appointments – Brass lid prop and cups, brass finials on plate, beveled lid edges, spade legs
- Hard Finish music desk – To preserve the piano's beauty
- Stretcher Over-Lap Integrated Design (SOLID) – Double width stretcher bar for optimum strength
- Extended length keysticks – For more even response from the front to the back of each key
- Concert length key buttons – Doubled in length to provide maximum energy transfer and optimum power
- Solid spruce precision tapered soundboard – Permanently crowned for long-term stability
- Advanced scale designs – Created in the Shigeru Kawai Research and Development Laboratory
- Dual duplex scaling – For added tonal richness
- Multi-Grip pin block - Laminated with 11 plies
- Solid brass agraffes – For even string spacing and easier tuning
- Steel reinforced, multi-laminated keybed – For strength and optimum energy transfer
- Steel reinforced keyslip – For strength and stability that avoids sticking keys
- V-Pro plate – Gray iron with "Crossbone" design
- Ultra-Slow "Soft-Fall" fallboard
- Height adjustable bench (polished ebony finish only)
Millennium III™ action - features components made of ABS-Carbon, a composite material created by the infusion of carbon fiber into our renowned ABS Styran. ABS-Carbon is incredibly sturdy and rigid, which allows the creation of action parts that are lighter without sacrificing strength. The result is a stronger, faster action that offers more power, better control and greater stability than conventional all-wood actions.
Kawai's exclusive NEOTEX™ key surfaces - material made with cellulose fiber offers the smooth, understated texture of natural ivory and ebony—and a semiporous, silica-filled surface to absorb the hand’s natural oils and perspiration that can cause slipping. NEOTEX resists cracking and fading over years of use and is used for both the sharps and the naturals for a consistent feel across the entire keyboard. Another added benefit, NEOTEX provides antibacterial protection.
Extended length keys made of spruce wood - Spruce is the ideal material for the keys – light, yet extremely strong for its weight. It responds with minimal flex and exceptional consistency, transmitting every subtle nuance of the pianist’s performance while remaining stable through years of heavy use. The length of each key has been extended to make playing easier and provide more even response from the front to the back of the playing surface. Keysticks are also designed with a slightly taller profile for maximum rigidity to deliver greater power.
Rigid foundation of key stroke - The hammer rail is the “spine” of the piano’s action. GX series hammer rails are made of durable extruded aluminum with Kawai's exclusive Dual-Beam design for strength and stability. Both the hammer rail and the wippen rail are permanently locked in place to preserve the exacting tolerances of the action design and ensure consistent touch over the life of the piano. The entire surface of the hammer rail is finely serrated to hold each hammer flange securely in place for optimum hammer alignment, while the hammer flanges secured to the surface are made by PBT resin that enables the action screws to remain tight without shrinking and swelling. All these meticulous design features comprise the GX Series’ rigid foundation, ensuring a precise key stroke over time.
Tapered soundboard made of solid spruce - The soundboard is the heart of a piano. Its purpose is to transform the vibrations of the piano’s strings into a rich, resounding tone. Kawai uses only straightgrained, quarter-sawn solid spruce for GX series soundboards. Each one is strategically tapered to provide the proper degree of resonant movement in each region. Only soundboards that meet or exceed our demanding resonance standards are selected for use in the GX series grand pianos.
CORE system - CORE is an acronym that represents “Convergence for Optimum Reflected Energy.” Convergence refers to the way the piano’s strength centers—the rim, plate and underside beams—all focus on one central point at the heart of the instrument. This focus creates an incredibly strong “core” foundation that maximizes the reflective capabilities of the inner rim for outstanding tonal power and sustain.
Hybrid inner rim (Konsei Katagi rim) - The exclusive Konsei Katagi rim uses a blend of distinctive hardwoods to achieve an ideal balance of tone. For the inner rim, small-pored hardwoods that provide superior brightness and projection are interlaminated with dense, large-pored hardwoods offering warmth and fullness. This synergy of structurally divergent hardwoods produces a powerful, well-rounded richness of tone that is the hallmark of Kawai pianos.
Vertically laminated bridge - The bridge performs the vital task of transferring the vibrations of the strings to the soundboard. GX bass bridges are made of the highest quality hard maple or beech. Treble bridges are vertically laminated with 13 layers of maple and mahogany for maximum strength and optimal transfer of sound energy. The GX-7 features a single, continuous bridge that helps to smooth the transitions between bass and treble registers.
SOLID (Stretcher Over-Lap Integrated Design) - SOLID construction creates an exceptionally rigid foundation to support string tension. First, the pinblock is fitted to the plate. Then, the pinblock and over-lapping stretcher bar are integrated into a single structure and solidly anchored to the rim. The extraordinary thickness of the stretcher bar exemplifies the structural integrity of this sturdy framework designed to ensure stable tuning and powerful tone.
V-Pro plate - The plate is the acoustically-neutral iron superstructure of the piano over which the strings are tensioned. All GX Series plates are molded using the Vacuum Mold Process (V-Pro) with “Crossbone Design.” The result is a plate that is strong, stable and beautiful.